In 1942, Mildred Stockwell Fuerst invited Ruth and Jennie Ripey, Alice Berleman and Clara Wight to her home to discuss weaving. They concluded they could really help each other if they met regularly. The ladies found these meetings to be educational as well as relaxing during the war.
By September 1945, the group had grown to twenty members, were organized formally and adopted the name Portland Handweavers, which was registered with the Secretary of State. A design by Garnet West was adopted as the symbol.
By 1946, PHG had moved to the YWCA as they outgrew member homes and the cost to join was $1.
The first PHG guest speaker was Annabelle Carstens of Hughes Fawcett Linen Co.
In 1961, Pat Harris put together an exhibit of articles woven by PHG members that was exhibited at Meier & Frank at the Lloyd Center. These photos were also sent on the road as a slide show exchange with other guilds through the US and Canada. (Slide show at top of this page)
PHG has taken part in local art festivals and exhibits as well as donated to the Ticker-Maxon Oral School and Portland Children's Center. In 1965, PHG was host to the 2nd Pacific Northwest Weavers Conference, with 400 attendees.